The Justice and Peace Commission (JPC) of the Archdiocese of Bamenda which was created in 2002, is a faith based, non-profit organizationduly registered and legally recognised by the Government of Cameroon with reference no.72/E.29/1111/vol.8/ALPAS
It is part of the universal network of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace which links up the different Justice and Peace Departments at the continental, Regional and National levels. The Commission works at the grassroots through its Deanery and Parochial Services made up of concerned Catholics who want to work for peace and promote social justice in the light of the Gospel and the Social teaching of the Church. The Justice and Peace Commission believes in a transformed society in which there is respect for human dignity, equality, sustainable peace and development. This commission undertakes to work for justice, build peace and promote socially sustainable
JPC works with objectives such as:
- Reaching out to the poor and vulnerable in demand for justice
- Engaging in education on rights and entitlement of all, especially poor and vulnerable groups and undertaking advocacy actions for positive change
- Accompanying communities, families and individuals in conflict prevention, building peace and socially sustainable development.
- Accompanying local and traditional communities in policy formation and democratic governance
- Fostering community spirit and encouraging civic pride to guarantee national unity and integration.
The Justice and Peace Commission works with a vision to see a world in which peoples and cultures come together, unified and empowered by the common belief that they have the responsibility to create and shape the way they live and grow in their communities.
The activities of JPC are generally action oriented, based on Papal and Episcopal teachings of the Catholic church, as well as international instruments and local legislation. Actions are implemented through trainings, workshops, conferences, debates, publication of educative material and research on relevant events, all geared towards contributing to the development of persons,structures,as well as systems.