INTEGRATION OF DISABILITY AND SPECIAL NEEDS INTO HUMANITARIAN RESPONSE
JPC Bamenda, represented by Fajong Azineh, the Human Rights Officer, took part in a training workshop on ‘Integration of Disability and Special Needs into Humanitarian Response’. Organized by Action Against Hunger, in collaboration with UNFPA, the workshop which took place at the Buea Synod Office brought together over 75 participants, representing different Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) from North West and South West Regions of Cameroon.
The workshop was elaborated on the following:
- The Concept of disability
- Psycho-social aspects of disability
- Barriers faced by people with disabilities in humanitarian contexts
- Legal instruments on the rights of persons with disabilities
- Specific indications on accessibility requirement for different disability groups were highlighted
- Participants were introduced to the concepts of access, accessibility and reasonable accommodation.
All the CSO representatives left the 2-day workshop with a lot of emphasis from the organizers to include disability programing in all their activities and to make their facilities accessible.